As long as you attend a local church regularly, why join?
Unlike membership in most community organizations or retail establishments, becoming a member of a local church signifies something deeper, something fundamental to our spiritual lives. Membership makes possible a community life that could never be experienced by a collection of “attendees.” Such a community is marked by promises of mutual care, willingness to resolve conflict rather than leave, and banding together to achieve kingdom purposes both within and beyond the local fellowship (Acts 2:42-47).
If you want to be part of such a community rather than just a spectator, active church membership is for you.
At some churches, to become a member is little more than a formality: go to a class, sign a form, and you’re in. Here at Yarrow Alliance Church, church membership signifies that a person is a part of the life of the church. In other words, once you really do participate in the life and ministry of the church, we affirm that participation with the title of formal membership. This process can be somewhat confusing to someone who wants to “join up” as soon as possible.
What’s Required to Become a Member at Yarrow Alliance Church?
At Yarrow Alliance Church only those individuals who have accepted the saving work of Christ followed by baptism as a believer can become members (Ephesians 2:8-9). We also look for the ongoing evidence of a changing life and the pursuit of Christlikeness (2 Peter 3:18). Participation in the body of Christ (the church) and connection with others in significant relationships is also critical to becoming a responsible, growing member of our church (Acts 2:46). Also important is serving Christ’s body according to spiritual giftedness and passion. Finally, we believe members need to honour God with their material resources and support the church and extend help to those in need (Philippians 4:11-19).
Our strategy at Yarrow Alliance Church, by the grace of God, is to grow warmer through fellowship, larger through evangelism, stronger through worship, deeper through discipleship, and broader through ministry. Dedicated members help make this possible.
Yarrow Alliance Church Membership Pledge
1. I WILL PROTECT THE UNITY OF MY CHURCH
– By acting in love toward other members. (Romans 15:19; 1 Peter 1:22)
– By refusing to gossip. (Ephesians 4:29)
– By following leadership. (Hebrews 13:17)
2. I WILL SHARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MY CHURCH
– By praying for its growth. (1 Thessalonians 1:2)
– By inviting the unchurched to attend. (Luke 14:23)
– By warmly welcoming those who visit. (Romans 15:7)
3. I WILL SERVE THE MINISTRY OF MY CHURCH
– By discovering my gifts and talents. (1 Peter 4:10)
– By being equipped to serve by my pastors. (Ephesians 4:11-12)
– By developing a servant’s heart. (Philippians 2:3-4, 7)
4. I WILL SUPPORT THE TESTIMONY OF MY CHURCH
– By attending faithfully. (Hebrews 10:25)
– By pursing Christlikeness. (Philippians 1:27)
– By giving of my time, talent and treasure regularly. (1 Corinthians 16:2; Leviticus 27:30)
Exploring Church Membership
To learn more about Membership at YAC, we encourage you to attend the next 101 Seminar.
To Register for Membership 101
• You can register online by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
• Call (604) 823-6767 and ask to be registered for Membership 101, or
• Fill out a Friendship Card from a weekend worship service and place it in
the offering plate, indicating your desire to attend Membership 101.
Why Does Yarrow Alliance Church Offer Church Membership?
Believers in the New Testament clearly identified themselves with a specific local group of believers and were challenged to become committed participants. We want to follow that biblical precedent, and active church membership is our way of doing that.
In addition, it is important to identify the core that can be counted on. Membership is one measure the leaders of our church use to determine whether we’re accomplishing the church’s mission of building a loving community of fully devoted followers of Jesus Christ.
Finally (and this is no small point) membership benefits You. It’s an important spiritual step that moves each of us out of the vague clouds of our good intentions and into the clear light of committed belonging. The membership process can be a significant “defining moment” in your lifelong discipleship journey.